Finding the balance is something that I have heard numerous times since starting to date Jed. We talk about finding the balance with friends, with each other, with church, and with other activities that happen to come up in life. It has been a simple and yet comforting way to discuss dealing with life and what to make of it.
What happens when life seems to swing like a pendulum, and finding the balance seems nearly impossible to attain? Sometimes I feel as though everyone else has it all put together, and I am the only one swaying around.
Maybe it is the time change, or the need for a vacation, or the frustrations in trying to keep up with both my math class and grading. I am not sure. But last night, as the clock rolled around to 1am, I thought to myself, there has got to be a different way. A different attitude maybe, a different strategy of balancing work time and play time, something that will change the imbalance that I have now into something more steady.
This is what I am asking you. What do you do when you get off balance. How do you get yourself to step back on that balance beam of life, head held high, arms outstretched confidently?
I am sure that this is just a small moment in the duration of time that I feel so 'off'.' Maybe even a week from now, I will be laughing about this weekend thinking about how unbalanced I was. But for now, I suppose, I will just try to take one step at a time, trying to keep my head up, and my best foot forward, somehow striving to once again to "Find the Balance"
4 comments:
Hi, Anne,
Hope you don't mind my leaving a comment for you on this, but I can entirely relate and sympathize with you on this matter.
When I find myself short of breath (in the literal and figurative sense), I'll usually cancel something on my agenda that can be rescheduled (there will ALWAYS be time for coffee, and unless it's with a long-lost friend, usually people are understanding) and use that time for: a walk, a nap, a cup of coffee by myself so I can clear my head, journaling, a bubble bath, or a workout. Usually this time inspires me to de-clutter a lot of things in the immediate future, from my schedule to my laundry basket to my fridge. Kind of a "spring cleaning" for the soul. And it always feels so refreshing.
I hope your journey to find balance brings you just that - and some good rest, too.
Anne, I loved reading this post and learning more about your own struggle to strike a balance.
I know the feeling you are referring to. And ugh, it's hard isn't it? After I had Henry I recall feeling off balance for weeks, overwhelmed with the tasks and responsibilities in my life. I felt "in a funk" and wondered when I would ever feel like I could handle it all.
I think you said it best when you mentioned one step at a time, putting your best foot forward.
Slow down, take a deep breath and remember that "Rome wasn't built in a day"
We ALL have off days, sometimes weeks and some will even say months...and it is OK.
And sometimes all we need is to know that it is ok to not have it all together. And it is ok to be a little off today. And it is ok to feel the way you're feeling.
Because tomorrow's another day. A new day and we'll make the most of it then.
So thankful for you today.
Unfortunately life seems to go back and forth. Everyone has moments in their life when everything seems to be going the way they think it should and then there are moments when we just can't seem to find our happy place.
Something that I started doing about a month ago was to get up at least 15 minutes earlier in the morning to read the Bible. Now this is a big struggle for me most of the time but I also recognize the benefits and that's what gets me up. Sometimes I am able to get ready faster and end up with 30 minutes but what a difference that has made in my day to day life.
I just started in Genesis and read as much as I can before I have to throw a bagel in the toaster and head off to work but if you put God first in your day He will make sure to bless the rest of it.
I know it has only been a month but it seems that I have had a great sense of peace and contentment in my life since I started this. Before I felt like it was a daily struggle to find happiness and contentment but as soon as I gave God the first moments of my day it was easy to find it.
So my suggestion it to give God the first moments of the day, even if it is just 15 minutes and He will bless you for the rest of it. That's where you will find your balance.
Thanks for your honesty Anne. I would say that the best thing you can do is realize that "no" is a complete sentence. It's not selfish to put time aside for yourself because the more you nurture your own self, the more you have to give to others.
Post a Comment