
At my school, the thing to do for students' birthdays is for them to bring in processed (usually Jewel brand) cupcakes. The thing is, what is it about the cupcakes that screams "must. bring. to. school. for. my. kids. birthday.?" Now, maybe I am missing out on something here, and I should be remembering that it is better to have something than nothing at all, but really, I just don't get it.
I know my frosting. I love my frosting. Some might even call me a frosting connoisseur. The frosting on these cupcakes, are greasy, and have no taste aside from a fake sugary plastic residue. The cake itself isn't too bad, but together the whole thing is a giant deception. What looks like happy yummy goodness, is really a processed fake flop. What a disappointment!
Today a kid in 5th Grade came around with an oreo version of this same cupcake. I thought I would give it a whirl as it was a cleverly done deviation from the original version. As you can see in the picture, I ate part of it, but I was thoroughly diappointed.
A long time ago when I had just started student teaching, I used to LOVE any treat that came my way in school. Every cupcake (even these processed ones) I used to relish and adore, even if they did stain my teeth blue or green. What changed? Is it me, or was it the cupcakes?
When someday I end up being a mother, maybe I, too, will buy these cupcakes for my child to take to school. Maybe I will be pushed for time, or maybe I will know that if they are for school, I won't actually have to eat them myself at home. Who knows? But, for now, all I ask is, why, WHY not make a homemade cupcake once in a while?... one with good frosting and good old fashioned moist homemade goodness of a cake smothered just right in a colorful paper cupcake holder?

P.S. No sooner had I posted this originally, I got ANOTHER processed cupcake. I tell you--they are EVERYWHERE!
9 comments:
are kids at your school allowed to bring homemade cupcakes in? i thought a lot of schools were insisting in store-bought, individually-wrapped type things these days...
kids aren't allowed to bring in anything homemade at our preschool and public schools...darn dcfs..it's sad isn't it? besides the kids LOVE that processed frosting.
Here in MN, we too are not allowed to bring in homemade goodies to school. Such a change from when I was a child. I can remember my Mom and I making treats for Holiday parties (they don't even have those anymore) or a specail day in school. Now with all the alergies (peanut, red dye) I suppose they figure just buy your treats from the grocery store and you'll be safe. I agree with you, I would much rather have the good ol' homemade version.
Great post!
Hi Anne,
I just wrote this whole paragraph and it is gone now. Guess I'm not too good at this.
Thanks for leaving me a note on my blog. I don't get too many because hardly anyone knows I have one. And it's because of you that I do. You started your Mom on it, and she started me. But she is much better at it than I am.
So, on to the topic at hand - cupcakes. As your friends said, I don't think schools allow homebaked ones. Even when Chris was little and attending NP Nursery School, treats had to be store bought. Terrible, I agree! So, why don't you just make up for it by baking some home made ones for you and Jed tonight. Live it up! Enjoy! And say hi to Jed.
Also, tell Maria Elde that Tracy and I said congratulations on her engagement.
-Marny
It's a sad day when the frosting queen (you!) leaves the frosting uneaten on the cupcake! This calls for a trip to the Swedish Bakery in Andersonville where you know you can find something sweet to please your palate!
Just had to add this: your new blog format looks really great!
No, at our school kids are allowed to bring in homemade items, they just don't. If they did have to do the whole wrapped things, cupcakes wouldn't fit that bill either. Anyway, this is more just to throw this out there. Thank you for your consolation!
Anne...I totally agree...I love homemade all the way (though minus the frosting! I'm not a frosting fan)
But yeah that's weird if they are allowed to bring in homemade and choose not to??? What's the deal with that???
I'd LOVE to make homemade treats for Ty and Maddy's friends at school...but we have to do prepackaged and store bought only...
So many people weighing in on this important topic! At MY school (Littleton, CO) the kids can bring in homemade goodies, but usually storebought wins out. However, we have a set of triplets in third grade and each of them brought in 25 homemade cupcakes for each of their 3 classrooms...that woman is dedicated! Hope you're well!
Post a Comment