Thursday, February 22, 2007

Maple on My Mind

Tonight is a night where I need to abandon all that I want to do with my evening to go to my night class, Computing for Mathematicians. I am mostly glad to go. It is finally a chance for me to get together with a bunch of other Math Nerds and talk about programming and summations and other things that would usually only result in a blank stare or a rolling of the eyes.

It is a little slice of heaven to be able to use my mind to think logically and know for sure if I did a problem right via the success of my program. However, much as I love math, I do at times get frustrated because I do not always understand the Maple program (for those of you who know Mathematica, it is very similar to that).
It is amazing how humbling it can be to not understand a math problem. I can truly relate to my students who are struggling and confused. This class really is making me a more patient, more thorough teacher, and for that I am truly greatful.

I wanted to let all of you out there who are and who are not math nerds, if you ever want to talk about math, though I may not know everything or get everything right, I am your girl.

2 comments:

Lindahl News 2 said...

Let's just say you are a math nerd, Anne. If so, you are the coolest math nerd ever! Why? It's COOL to have a passion for anything cerebral, and you have loved math since I could remember.
You begged for math workbooks when you saw them in the store, and you nearly hyperventilated when working on puzzling problems...even with your study group in high school!

lb said...

Hi,

I happened to stumble across your post. We at Maplesoft and me personally are always interested in finding ways of making Maple more user friendly and hence making math more accessible. Drop me a line if you have ideas on what we can improve.

best regards

-Laurent