Monday, February 12, 2007

Covenant Harbor Weekend

This past weekend, I got to go hang out with women from Winnetka Covenant Church at our Women's Retreat at Covenant Harbor.

Though my expectations were not especially high, I ended up feeling way more rested and feeling hopeful about life than I thought I would. The theme of the weekend was "sharing our stories". We were even given a homework assignment on Friday night asking us to think about the following:

1. What are 4 Defining Moments in our lives? (Moments that stick out more than others in our past memories)

2. What are 3 Critical Choices that we had to make? (Moments in which we made a major decision in our life)

3. Who are two pivotal people in your life? (These are two people that made a difference to us and who we are)

It was amazing getting to share our stories and listen to the stories of others. It was even an enlightening experience to have to think about these questions. So often we can get caught up in the main idea bullet points of our lives and yet, what we really crave are the relational moments in which we can truly get to know the core of another.

I challenge you to really think about these three different items, and maybe you might just realize more about the value of your life than you thought.

2 comments:

simplicity said...

Anne...Great questions. Makes one think about a lot of life.

I won't go into great detail, I'm not sure how many "defining moments" I've had, and I've had more than my share of difficult choices and choosing two people...would be so hard.

But one of the most difficult choices I've ever made was leaving North Park. You've been my friend long enough to know what a struggle not only the decision was but also what a struggle sticking with it it was. It was hard. I missed out on much. I missed people, friends...but somehow the good ones stuck with me. Like you.

And I learned that there is a reason in Christ for everything...even though one may never know why, when, where or how...HE knows.

Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Let's chat soon...I miss you!

Lindahl News 2 said...

Your birth, Anne, was one of my defining moments. How very terrified I was to get pregnant again after the loss of your sister before you. Each day I carried you was a gift from God. And then you were finally born, finally in my arms and so ultimately healthy...a whopping 9 lbs. 6 oz. full of life, breath and to top it off, you were simply BEAUTIFUL!!! It was a moment and experience like no other (except to give birth to John, of course) and it's still the best gift of all to be a mother. A defining moment which we celebrate with praise and thanksgiving 24 years later!