Sunday, June 10, 2007

"So in Love..."

I have to admit that once in a while, I happen to stumble upon some of those celebrity magazines. I am sure that you will be familiar, as they can be found at every grocery store, pharmacy-type store, targets, walmarts, pretty much every convenience type store.

I happen to catch them the majority of the time when I am working out at my local fitness center. I look for them on the magazine racks hoping that there will be a brand new edition for me to read during my time on the bike, eliptical, or stair stepper (occasionally, I am able to read while I walk, but it is difficult to do, and most of the time I opt out of that option).

As I sweat, the time seems to slip into thin air while I see who is dressed better than who, who is the next 'it' topic of the week, who has the cutest 'mini-me' versions of themselves as their kids, what 'amazing' things/causes certain celebrities are into.

One thing that I happened to notice this week is the casual use of the word 'love' to describe many hollywood relationships. Ironically, it is used mostly of couples who have been dating anywhere between three months and a few years. I wonder if they (meaning the writers of these magazines) are trying to cover up for how little they really do know about the status of the relationship, and they want to make it as exciting to the public as possible.

Quite frankly, I feel that it is crazy to use such strong language to define every budding relationship. How is it that so many people in hollywood can be in the exact same type and level of relationship as the next person?

What does that do to the 'normal' relationships that we have here in the non-hollywood world? How does this encourage regular old people to develop genuine bonds unlike the 'so in love' lust that is in existance between celebs?

While I will still read these mags. as a guilty pleasure, I will have to wonder and think skeptically about the relationships that seem to be popping up everywhere in which everyone is 'so in love,' Maybe the writers should be okay with varying degrees of relationships...what about creating another set of appropriate defintion status of relationships-being 'so in like' or a "fun fling" or "crazy about each other." Maybe spicing things up a bit will help us normal folks to realize that is okay to not immediately jump to the big "L" word...

3 comments:

Lindahl News 2 said...

Like mother, like daughter...I read those magazines, too. Good idea about reading them while you workout; I read them while on break at work.

The "so in love" thing bothers me, too. You addressed that well. I'd like to bring up my peeve...the speculation about who is pregnant in the tabloids. There's a rash of pictures this week with Nicole with her "bump", when will Angela have more, Julia's
time approaching, the ex-girlfriend of a Patriot's player soon to deliver while her ex happily romps with another.

Doesn't it seem like the couple is "so in love" for a short time, then she gets pregnant, then the couple often breaks up, move sepatate ways and repeats the pattern? Like getting pregnant is no big deal? My heart goes out to these "love" children and I just wonder how they will ever get solid parenting and NOT repeat what their parents have done. And also, I must be old-fashioned, because I still believe in the M word: marriage!

simplicity said...

OOOH...great topic Anne.

Love is a serious thing. It's a wonderful thing, yet it's so casually tossed about that I worry that many don't even know what it truly is.

I'm with your mom, the M word is what we need more of. M with real love, commitment and devotion.

simplicity said...

PS...I'm so with you on the guilty pleasure of reading tabloids...it just "sucks you in"..