Today I babysat for a family in an upscale part of Chicago, and I felt very much like the nanny from The Nanny Diaries (p.s. The movie of this is finally coming out in September, and I can't wait to go see it...the book was awesome!).
Here was my schedule of the day:
8-8:30am I arrive. I am given instructions. Mom goes out to get Starbucks.
8:30-9:15am I play downstairs and am instructed to build an obstacle course. When I did not build it 'the right way,' little boy freaks out. We get ready to leave the house.
9:30-9:50am Drive in the car to a location in which I do not have the address, only directions. Mom has never been to the class, but she knows where it is.
10:00-11:00am Watch little boy during a short sports play time. As soon as the play continued, all nannies and parents and caregivers whip out an activity to work on. Woman to the left: knitting. Woman to the right: college algebra homework. I get asked what hand little boy throws with. I have no idea. We leave the class. One mom asks how old he is. Again, I have no idea.
11:00-11:45am Drive downtown Chicago to go to a swim lesson for little boy. Crazy traffic. Little boy continues to tell me how much he hates traffic and ask why we can't go any faster.
11:45-12:15pm Arrive at the lesson place, but am unable to go in because.
a. I am not a member
b. We arrived more than 15 minutes before his class started.
We eat lunch at the extremely expensive cafe that has no tables for us to eat at. I ask to go and eat at the tables, and we are not allowed to because:
a. I am not a member
b. He is under five years old.
We eat lunch on a bench. He is cold because of the air conditioning
12:30-1:00 Swim Lesson. Many moms by the pool, one with a pseudo thong bikini - I didn't know people actually wear those!
1:15-1:40pm Drive home. Little boy tells me not to talk to him - I can only talk to myself. I turn on music. He starts to sing and tells me to repeat all of the words that he just sang. Sheesh - I don't have that good of memory.
1:40-? Back at home. Normal day...bizarre outings...
Who knew what this Thursday would bring?!?
3 comments:
What a little brat!
OH my. The best was lunch at the club and then also the questions at class, how old is he and what hand does he throw with!
Oh wow... I could tell you STORIES. Spent a year babysitting for starbucks, nordstroms, pedicures and the gym :)
Post a Comment