I cannot believe that it is finally May and spring has finally sprung. Thank goodness!
There is nothing much new to report here in the lives of the Bassetts. Everything seems same old, same old. No new pictures of interesting events, no exciting words or stories out of the ordinary. What is left to write about then? The Weather.
It is amazing to me how much weather truly affects people's outlooks on life. It seems to me to be slightly ridiculous for something so mundane to make such a huge impact on how I feel.
Yesterday, for instance, the day was beautiful, but yet chilly. I felt uplifted empowered, and free to a peaceful existance. Yesterday night, however, it grew cold and overcast, and I found myself uninspired to get off of the coach and out to the gym to move around for a bit.
I was paralyzed. I decided to tap into my artistic talents. My scrapbook projects seemed to much to handle, so I settled in on a favorite past-time: looking at a photograph and trying to sketch it in a sketchbook.
I chose a picture of Jed and me in Nantucket on our honeymoon. We were sitting on the sand in the beach, being goofy, while trying to take a picture of ourselves at that particular moment. Jed's arm was outstretched to hold out the camera, but this is not evident in the picture. It almost looks as if we were able to have someone else take the picture for us.
While drawing, I remember back to my Methods in Art Class from North Park where the professor told us that drawing someone is an amazing connection that is not the same as just sitting and staring at someone out for coffee. She even said that if ever there were two arguing students in class, she would have them sketch each other, and suddenly a newfound appreciation for that person would seem to appear out of this sketching experience.
Last night, as I was drawing and looking into my husband's face, I was reminded about the love that I have for this man. We seemed so 'young' in our picture, newly married, unaware of the depth that was to come even from less than a year of marriage, we have grown so much. The amazing thing is that my love for this man, who I knew so well when we married, has still been growing and changing, and growing richer with every new day. It is something that I don't notice the difference between one day and the next, but in looking at the big picture, I see how our relationship has ebbed and flowed into what our marriage is right now.
I am glad that last night the weather was junky. I am glad that I was feeling inspired to sketch, and I am glad to take a moment to stop and appreciate my husband for the wonderful man that he is. I am so proud of him, and I am so thankful to have him in my life.
4 comments:
Anne, What a beautiful post. You brought your drawing class to life.
I would love to see the photo and your drawing.
I'll see what I can do about that...=o)
You have written some wonderful blogs before, but this one is the very sweetest one ever!
It was a lovely surprise to find you were drawing again. Isn't there the best feeling from being able to express yourself through the brain/heart/hands connection?
a lovely post, and lovely sentiments. too bad i can't draw as well...my affection for MY husband would be conveyed in a stick figure! :) hope you're able to continue tapping into this creative outlet, even as 'exciting' adventures happen and new pictures avail themselves for posting. :)
Post a Comment