Friday, May 04, 2007

Last Step

On Tuesday night, I was able to take the final for my Computing for Mathematicians class. This then marks the end of my necessary math classes to fulfill my math certification requirement. I could not be more thrilled.

Now as I am reflecting back on this class, I remember moments that all contributed to my memory of this class.

Moments of laughter, of Zeng-isms such as "you must use trickery" (when using substitution and rearranging) and "use common sense" (when telling us what font to use for our program). And of course, who could forget the first day of class when Zeng was telling us how to use division as a symbol on the computer, causing a Frenchman in the class to get severely disturbed, telling Zeng, "this is not good" while shaking his head.

Moments of frustration, of not understanding the why behind certain aspects of programming and feeling like I would never make it to the point of knowing. Moments when I could relate deeply with my students and being on the brink of knowing, but being unsuccessful. Moments of being told that I wasn't doing my homework and studying in the right way.

Moments of success; I was able to make a math friend who is just as much of a math nerd as I am. She was able to help me and explain things when I had confusion. Without her, I would probably not have been able to complete the class with as much grace and finess as I did.

Of course, there are other moments in between, remembering all of the support that I also received from people outside of my class. Thank you to all of those who helped and listened and encouraged me on my journey.

And now, the class is done. Maple has given up its claim on my every Tuesday and Thursday night. I am free. I have finished. I rejoice in this success.

P.S. If you would like to see a picture of my professor, copy and paste this link...

http://www.neiu.edu/Academics/College%20of%20Arts_Sciences/Departments_Programs/Mathematics/Faculty/Mathematics_Department_Faculty.html

3 comments:

Elin said...

Congratulations to your freedom... =) Wishing you a great weekend! Kram

Linnea said...

Congrats, Anne-I know how hard it is to take classes when teaching full time!
-Cousin Linnea

Lindahl News 2 said...

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!