Growing up in L'ville. I always heard people commenting on what a good education system we had. As I was young, I never quite knew what that meant. I knew that I liked my teachers for the most part, and I felt comfortable with learning.
Once I got out into the world (this includes college), I began to really see the incredible gift that I had been given with my education and educational experiences. In high school, we had a fabulous music program. I never felt like I was a good musician, but when I went to college, I realized that I had more skill in music than I thought I did.
Last night, I just finished up a paper for my graduate school class (the last one of the semester - whoo hoo!). My partner had sent me a nuts and bolts version of what our paper could be, and my job was to take that information and align it to our assignment while beefing it up with references. I sent it to her to proofread and then she sent it back to me with a few corrections that she had made. While I was reading it over again, I realized that I had skills when it came to writing a term paper. (Funny that I realize this now in life...)
All of the proper citation kill and drill practice that I did in 8th grade with Mrs. K and Mrs. J-K. I hated the excessive practice at the time, but it really has been a useful skill for me. Mr. B in US History made us write 2-10 page research papers throughout our year of study with him. He was rigorous in his citation and format requirements. I now never look at Mary Todd Lincoln or Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis the same way again after poring over them for hours on end for each paper.
So, at this point, with the spirit of Thanksgiving starting to whirl around in the air, I stand grateful for the great education that I received growing up. I am all the more motivated to be a "great" teacher for my students as well, challenging with high expectations and applicable ways that will lead to success.
Thank you L'ville for the opportunities that you gave me, and thank you parents for choosing to live in such a great district!
No comments:
Post a Comment