Monday, April 12, 2010

Blast from the Past

When I think back to my high school days, mostly I remember a time where I did a lot of growing and changing, realizing more of the bigger picture of life that I hadn't necessarily paid much attention to during my childhood. I also, though, remember my many, many moments of being a part of the music department and geeks like me that liked to make music. I did choir for a few years but ended up enrolling in an out of school musical theater type group after that. But, my four year commitment was with my participation in band.

I know, I was a band geek...we actually had a name for ourselves: "bandees." It wasn't very hard to be a bandee. It mostly meant that we liked making music and we were comfortable with that. Most of the people that I hung out with were actually really good players. They would keep up their end of the bargain with practicing to perfection, and they would sound like professional musicians from all of their hard work. Me, I wasn't that great of a player by any standards, but I loved to be a part of something and so different from the regular rigors of regular high school academic life.

My band director, Mr. Shupe, was a great role model for me, and he shaped the ending of my childhood and the beginning of my adulthood in such a way that I will never forget him. I had a few good talks with him along the way, and I very much respected all that he invested in in his life. His life was dedicating to teaching and mentoring students and sharing his passion of music. To have a teacher in high school that knew me for all four years was a special thing as well, and it felt so nice to be known in a school of so many students and other teachers.

This past Saturday, Mr. Shupe had his retirement party, and I couldn't not go to show support for such a strong influential person in my life. It was a blessing to be able to chat with him for a few minutes to just say thank you again for everything.

Best to you, Mr. Shupe on your retirement. Enjoy it, and know that you have made a difference in so many lives out there. Thank you for making a difference to me!

3 comments:

Lindahl News 2 said...

It says so much about the impact ONE teacher can have on so many!

Thank you, Mr. Shupe!!

Lindahl News 2 said...

Just heard from someone yesterday that the band is going (yet again) to Superstate. Did you know the students are calling it SHUPErstate these days?

Anne Bassett said...

haha, no I didn't know that! How cool!