It is customary for an Indian bride to get detailed Henna designs along the top and bottom of both of her arms as well as on her feet. Anjela had a professional Henna (Mendi) artist at her house. In between doing either a top or bottom of Anjela's arm, other people were able to get designs done.
Of course, I wanted to be able to get in on the action, so I asked for the artist to do a design on the top of my hands. Here is what she did:
I couldn't believe how fast she was able to do my hands - it only took her about 5-6 minutes. She was using something that looked like a baggie with henna in the corner with a tiny hole (it reminded me slightly of what a pastry chef would use to decorate a cake with frosting). Then she created the design. Once the design was on my hands, it looked like a thick blackish gel. I was instructed to leave it on my hands for two hours at least to let it soak in.
When I left Anjela's house at 10pm or so, dinner was just starting, and I didn't end up making it until the end of the party. But, I was able to see Anjela's finished design later, and I have to say that I thought it was absolutely stunning. I also thought it was cool that the name of the groom was hidden into her henna design...I think in this picture you can see the letter "E" if you look hard enough.
2 comments:
Wow! Beautiful! How fun that you were able to experience that!
Those designs on your hands were beautiful...lovely to see in person!
Anjela's were INCREDIBLE!!!!!
Post a Comment