Friday, February 01, 2008

SNOW DAY!

A call came at 5:45am announcing that the district and its schools were closed down for the day. I became as excited as a little school girl with this news. I immediately had to wake Jed up to tell him the news. As elated as he was, Jed eagerly took this as an opportunity to turn off the alarm clock and go back to bed.

I, on the other hand, was too wound up to sleep. I went out to the couch to have my breakfast and stare thankfully out the window at the snow that was still falling. Today was going to be a great day.

I got it in my head that it would be fabulous to curl up and enjoy some of the Today Show while drinking my coffee in an actual, real, not made for travel mug. This is truly a rarity for me, so I made sure to enjoy every sip.

Later, outside seemed to be beckoning, and I got geared up and made my way around outside to observe the effects and beauty of the snow of Chicago before all of it turned gray, slushy, and unappealing.

I decided to walk to North Park from our apartment taking back-roads. Most sidewalks were well cleared off while some were a bit of a challenge. I didn't mind. The most amazing things, though, that I saw along my walk were: a cross country skiier, a snowshoer, and the most bizarre, a dogsled team.


Yes, a DOGSLED TEAM in Chicago with three Alaskan Huskies and a middle aged woman were travelling around the parks complete with the appropriate lingo that goes along with dogsledding. I wish I would've had my camera. That was priceless.

After seeing this, the rest of my walk was not nearly as eventful, but I had a great time none-the-less.

Jed and I later decided to go with some of our high school kids to Mt. Trashmore for sledding. My brother and friend Alex also joined us there. We had a BLAST!









Afterwards, we headed to a coffee shop/hot dog joint (two separate places that people could choose from and meet back at the coffee shop).

What a perfect snow day we had full of snow, friends, fellowship, and warm beverages. Lovely!

3 comments:

Lindahl News 2 said...

A dog sled team in Chicago...how delightfully bizarre! Glad you could see that.

You sure made the most of a snow day! Fun to see John and Alex out there with you, too.

Alli said...

I totally wish you had your camera with you when you saw the dogsled team! Glad that you got to enjoy the snow. : )

Linnea said...

Yes, we teachers LIVE for snow days! We haven't had any suitably snowy days yet here. Surprisingly, and sadly, we only get snow days every other year or so...and this is COLORADO! But, when it really snows, we can have gotten 4 days straight off! But, alas, I have sure never seen a dog sled team!