Thursday, January 24, 2008

Second Chances

Today at school, I had the opportunity to give a test anxious girl a second chance at her test grade. We wrote each problem on the board, and she talked me through how to solve each one. Amazingly enough, she was able to land the correct answer each time.

I knew she had it in her.

After she showed me the new problem, I would have her look at her old computations, and immediately she would point out and say, "What was I thinking?"

What was she thinking? I have no idea. Maybe focusing on getting through the test. Maybe focusing on changing all fractions and everything she ever had to know all boiled into one problem. Maybe the pressure of getting a good grade. Maybe not.

The important thing was that when she slowed down, she could do it, and she had a second chance.

How easy is it in real-life to get second chances, a chance to do-over, a chance to say you have a fresh start - not very.

It is just interesting to take a step back to realize the beauty that comes in second chances. Food for thought for today.

1 comment:

simplicity said...

I wish more of my teachers would have given me second chances on things...I was a HORRIBLE test taker, sometimes I'd know things but freeze when it came time to test.

I'm sure your student appreciates that you gave her that chance!