Monday, December 10, 2007

Holiday Cheer for One and All



It's in this time of year that it seems to be evident in how much we have and all that we have been blessed with. In realizing this, it is also important to think of others that do not have as much as we do - those in need.

Our classroom is sponsoring a little 6 year old kindergardener (from a low socioeconomic school in Chicago) whose wish was to get a Bratz doll of her very own. Each student has brought in a dollar in order to contribute to her request to Santa. I had no idea how they would approach this as they are 6th Graders and many of them have not yet discovered the world that exists for them outside the realm that they know.

I was pleasantly surprised when they broached this with open arms. They thought that our little girl sounded so cute and some even began to offer up more than a dollar to help out other children at the school. They asked me what religion she was in order to get the appropriate Holiday decor on their little notes to her that will be sent with her gift. Several children said that they couldn't believe that her family wasn't able to buy her gifts themselves. I was stricken and touched by these thoughtful, outside of the box statements that my lovelies were able to make about a little girl that they didn't even know. I am so proud of them!

Another teacher and I chose to pick up a few extra kids on our own to sponsor as we found out that many children still had not been selected a sponsor. We found out that if children didn't get sponsored, it was the teachers, faculty, and staff at that Chicago School who meet the remaining wishes - what dedication!




Jed went with me to Target last night to purchase the gifts for my classroom's sponsored child and another little 4-year old girl. I had a lot of fun picking out size 4-T Pajamas and matching slippers with a little baby doll for her to play with. We also found the requested Bratz doll and found a pink hat with matching mittens. I can only imagine what more each little girl would need this Christmas that they don't have.

I found such joy shopping in this way, and I would gladly do it again next year. If you have the opportunity to do something like this through a church or some other organization, I would highly recommed it. It's worth it to make someone else's Christmas all that much better.

2 comments:

The Process said...

We have a giving tree for the program I run at church, working with teen mothers. And I'm so amazed at everyone's generousity and thoughtfulness. And you're right, it's just as fun to give as it is to receive (if not more! : )

Lindahl News 2 said...

Remember our "Angel Tree" at church? This year I got a little guy who wanted Spiderman stuff and it was fun to shop for toys again.
He's about the same as as your cousins Jeffrey and Karl.

Keeps things in perspective, doesn't it?