Thursday, September 06, 2007

Jed's Second Post


I have been watching a bit too much of Oprah lately due to my time on the couch while I figure out what I want to do with my life, and I saw a pretty cool feature the other day about giving. There is an organization called Kiva which caught my attention. I have heard about organizations like this before and Kiva lets you connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world. By choosing a business on Kiva.org, you can "sponsor a business" for as little as $25 to help the world's working poor make great strides towards economic independence. Throughout the course of the loan (usually 6-12 months), you can receive email journal updates from the business you've sponsored. As loans are repaid, you get your loan money back. I would suggest looking into it and seeing if this might be right for you.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm going to look into this, Jed. It sounds like a really cool opportunity. Thanks for sharing it!

simplicity said...

Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

Keep up the bloggin' Jed!

The Process said...

My friends did a "Kiva party" for their 30th birthdays. It just sounds like a great idea. Thanks for posting about it. And for your defense . . . it was on the Today show too so you don't even need to admit watching Oprah. Since you're on the couch . . . maybe we should grab coffee on Monday!
B.

Amy and Andrew said...

Coincidentally, I heard about it this morning on NPR as well. Thanks for sharing. I love all the creative ways there are to give.

Lindahl News 2 said...

When was the first post? Did I miss it?

Cherith said...

v. cool, jed. i'll add it to my to-do list.

Cam said...

Weren't they sponsoring one of the tents at Germanfest?

Nice post, Jed. It truly does sound like a wonderful organization!

FYI...my first blog post ever!!!

Cam said...

leave it to the wife to correct me, its my first comment not my first post.

Unknown said...

Jed- What is happening on General Hospital these days? And who is on "The View" this week?