Saturday, December 07, 2013

Sorting

As my students (and many others) know; I pretty much see math everywhere. 

I can't avoid it, it's just a part of me, and most (okay, some) of the time, I keep these mathy thoughts in my head and try to spare others from the nerdy-ness of these observations.

At school, these thoughts often leak out during math class, and I am humored (and sometimes appreciated) for these random things.


What's that - you want to hear some of these "quips"?

Here are two for you:

1.  How cool was December 3rd this year?

      The date was 12 - 03 - 2013.

      See a pattern?

      The numbers in 12 - 03 rearrange to form 2013!!!  How cool is that.  A double date!


 2.  Want to know a cool way to multiply by 15 in your head?  Well, think of a clock.  There are 4 "15
       minute" chunks in an hour, so 15 x 4 = 60.  AND  15 x 6 is one hour and a half of an hour, so 90.


Judging by how geeked I get about math, I get "geeked" that much more when my own offspring does mathy things without prompting. 

She's sorting!





What is she sorting, you ask?  Why, all of her hair accessories, of course.  Why wouldn't someone want to sort these things?

Is she sorting on Halloween, you ask? 

Nope. 

She is Cinderella much of the time. 

Cinderella sorting...weave that into a story, Disney, I dare you!

No comments: