Sunday, April 27, 2008

Glass Exhibit

This past year, I have been able to take a professional development course at the Museum of Science and Industry. And I have to say, this is the most fun, pleasureable, enjoyable teacher type class that I have actually loved getting to go to every session.

The meetings are always at the museum itself. We always learn a variety of hands-on activities, but this past weekend, we were also given tickets and told to enjoy the Glass Exhibit featuring the artist, Chihuly.

I have seen some Chihuly works before, but I saw some of his pieces this time with a new found appreciation for his choice of color, design, and character.


At the time we were at the exhibit, we got to see live glass blowers. I have seen some of those folks blowing glass before when I was a little girl visiting Orrefors, but I have to say I did not remember a whole lot as it was so long ago.

We learned that it takes at least five years for a person to become an 'okay' glass blower and many more years after that to perfect things like putting handles on a glass vase. There were three glass blowers up on the stage: one explained the process and the other two worked together to make the vase ("vah-s" not "v-ay-s"). It only took about thirty minutes to do, but they had to be very efficient in order to create the finished product.



If you have a chance to head on to The Museum of Science and Industry, I would highly recommend that you check this all out! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lindahl News 2 said...

You lucky duck, you! Remeber when we went together to Garfield Park to see Chihuly's work? He is one of my favorite artists!

Do you recall how long the exhibit will be there?